At Acorn, a focus on sustainability and wellbeing is at the forefront of everything we do. Our fabric-first approach ensures we maximise the performance of our buildings from day one – with an emphasis on green features, both in and outside the home.
Built with the local community in mind, our new development, The Old Printworks, is an excellent example of the creation of a sustainable new neighbourhood in Frome. Sympathetically designed to complement its natural surroundings, linking new riverside walks along the River Frome, we take a closer look at the sustainable features employed throughout the scheme.
Sustainable features at The Old Printworks:
Our fabric-first approach to materials means all systems used throughout the build of the homes are aimed at reducing carbon footprint and lowering energy bills.
- Eco stock bricks have been used as they use up to 50% less energy to produce compared to other fired clay bricks.
- Triple glazing to windows and doors helps insulate rooms and minimise the transfer of heat through windows, in turn helping to reduce energy bills.
- All homes feature energy-saving appliances and efficient lighting.
- Sustainable urban Drainage System (SuDs) – Rainwater from the houses and roads is collected and stored in tanks below the public open space which will then be slowly released back into the River Frome.
- Selected houses are electric car charging and solar panel ready.
- Communal electric car charging available.
The homes themselves aren’t the only consideration we’ve taken when upholding our values in the environment. We all know that spending time outdoors is one of the best ways to improve our mental health and wellbeing, so as well as many of the homes having gardens and balconies, we are pleased to provide 1.5 acres of public open space across the development with new footpaths giving direct access to walks along the River Frome. In addition, the homes will benefit from a children’s play area -the perfect spot to keep the young ones entertained!
Helping preserve ecology and biodiversity of the natural world, we’re planting 81 new trees, installing 12 bat boxes and 10 bird boxes, and some homes even feature bee bricks to safeguard bees and give them additional habitats to thrive in.
To find out more about our homes at The Old Printworks or to book an appointment to view our Show Homes, please call the team today on 01373 888 303.